Thursday, March 8, 2007

A Visit from Thomas and Pascal



Two of my baby friends, Thomas and Pascal, came over for lunch today with their moms. We traded lunch for thoughts about natural childbirth. Here is what their moms had to say:

My son is truly the greatest love of my life. I didn't want to be numb on painkillers on the day we met.

It may only be a day in your life, but what I've discovered is that the day of my son's birth is a day that stays with me always. -- Rita Kearns, mother of Thomas

Rites of passage are dying in this country. Many of the troubling issues we're finding with young adults are due to our society's lack of "rites of passage." Birth is one of the most important rites of passage that I know of.

To go from an ordinary, sane, in control woman to MOTHERHOOD is a leap I wasn't sure I would take in this lifetime. I'm blessed that I have gotten to experience this rite of passage. And I'm even more blessed that I chose a homebirth and the midwifery model of care.

Becoming a mother has changed me in every way thinkable. It's made me a richer more powerful woman than the one I was before. We all need to claim this rite as our own. Think of the thought you put into your wedding... Now choose your birth. -- Jamie Glowacki, mother of Pascal

No comments: